Tuesday, October 28, 2008

31 Days: Tricks and Treats: Day 28: Vampires,Zombies,and Monster Men

When I was a kid I'd occasionally accompany my father to work, as kids do, and when he had a meeting at a certain bank downtown, he'd drop me off in the book store portion of The Card Emporium. There, under the careful supervision of one of the lovely girls who worked there, I'd be free to accumulate a fairly sizable stack of books while he was gone. (I can't imagine doing the same with my own kids but the 70's were a different time.)

I still have most of those books today. The horror and occult sections were surprisingly choice and I developed my love of gothic horror, movie monsters and Forteana thanks to the the shop's very cool buyer. Here are a few scans from one of my boyhood favorites - a 2 in 1 reprint of Daniel Farson's Vampires, Zombies, and Monster Men and Monsters and Mythic Beasts by Angus Hall.


Werewolf (by senses working overtime)

Le Loup Garou (by senses working overtime)

Voodoo (by senses working overtime)

Vampire of Croglin Grange (by senses working overtime)

Femaile Vampire (by senses working overtime)

zombie (by senses working overtime)

The Devil (by senses working overtime)